It’s about a quarter to three in the afternoon on a Thursday and the twitter goes off! An open source project that I haven’t worked on in a while is having some trouble with UTF-8. I was stuck on some code that was proving to be kind of boring, so I decided to give it a whirl to try and shake my brain up a bit.
My initial solution was way off base. This solution didn’t deal with filenames, it dealt with data in the file. Cucumber-JVM is already setting UTF-8 in all places like it’s supposed to. That wasn’t the solution, it wasn’t even close. The adrenaline fires up as I realize this is going to be a challenge. All thoughts of doing work previously are gone, now this challenge is all that matters. I try my search again, looking to see what else I could find about UTF-8 and filenames.